Video Encoding Engineer (h/f)
api.video is an API-first platform that enables developers to build, scale and operate on-demand and live video streaming in their own apps and platforms in minutes, with just a few lines of code. The service handles the end-to-end workflow, from video ingestion to worldwide video delivery.
As a Video Encoding Engineer, you will join our Core Team responsible for developing the API, encoding, and streaming pipeline both for VOD and Live streaming content. As a member of this team, you will play a key role in designing and implementing the new software architecture for the distributed media processing pipelines. You will work to improve our video and live encoding pipeline to deliver the best experience to our end users by evaluating the encoding quality of a library of wide-ranging content.
What will you be doing?
You will work to improve our video and live encoding pipeline to deliver the best experience to our end users by evaluating the encoding quality of a library of wide-ranging content.
- Conduct encoding experiments to determine areas of improvement
- Design and implement algorithms for video encoding analysis, processing, and enhancement.
- Design and develop image/video quality measures
- Optimize Video and Live streaming pipelines (balance between encoding speed/video compression/video quality)
- Develop and maintain documentation of streaming best practices, encoding parameters, etc.
- Participate in the development of skills on the Core Video subjects of the team
What can you expect at api.video?
- Global presence with an international working environment
- 100% Remote possible (we have an HQ in Bordeaux, and we rely on many coworking spaces)
- We offer competitive salaries
- Flexible timetable - we value results over presence
- Work in your preferred System and OS (Mac, Linux, Microsoft)
- Your voice is valued and will count in our decision making
- Personal Growth. We invest in your career development; do you need books or to attend conferences? We got you covered!
What you can expect from the process
- A first video call with members of the team to align on what they will expect from you, and assess your skills and job fit
- A video call with our People Operations Manager and a Product Manager to fully understand your career aspirations and answer any questions you have
- A final video call with our CEO to review any remaining questions
What are we looking for?
- You have deep understanding of encoding algorithms used throughout the encoding pipeline
- You have experience with subjective video quality assessment and evaluation
- You have in-depth knowledge of the theory and practice in the following areas: video understanding, video processing(frame rate, scaling, color, etc), video encoding, video streaming, video quality assessment
- You are familiar with video coding standards (AVC/H.264, HEVC/H.265, AV1, and VVC, etc.)
- You have solid programming, debugging, and optimization skills in one or more programming languages: C/C++, Go
- You have a collaborative mindset by working within a human-sized team and sharing expertise.
Nice to have:
- Knowledge and experience in video and live streaming pipelines.
- Experience in open-source multimedia projects (x264, FFMPEG, VLC, etc.)
- Experience in improving video encoding algorithms on CPU, GPU, and mobile platforms.
- Experience with HD audio